Saturday 11 February 2012

James Alexander and Elizabeth Junkison

It has been awhile since I was last in the West Linton Graveyard and it was good to be back this morning. I feel so at home now although I still come across new discoveries every time I'm back. This is a very old stone with a beautiful scene, where a skull at the top oversees the Theatre of Life below. The curtains are drawn back to give us a better view.


This is the text side of the stone topped by a very cheerful looking winged soul. She's probably very happy with her splendid wings and the way the top of the stone intermingles with her hairdo!.


As you can tell the text is almost gone but you can just about still read the top few lines which say:

Here lyes

James Alexander

And his wife

Elizabeth Junkison

Also..............William

..................son.........


I have the book Peeblesshire Monumental Inscriptions -pre 1855 by Sheila A Scott to thank for dating this stone back to 1760.

No comments: