Sunday 25 March 2012

Alexander Dunlop and family



I am endebted to Sheila A. Scott's book Peeblesshire Monumental Inscriptions-pre 1855 for being able to provide you with the information on this extremely weathered gravestone. Fortunately I could just about still read the surname of the first person buried here which enabled me to find the full text as it states in the book. This is what it reads according to the book and what I can still just about discern:


Sacred

to the memory

of

Alexander Dunlop

late herd Hareshaw who died

at Edinburgh 2nd April 1870 aged 71 years

also

Marion Thomson

his wife who died Loanhead 17th July 1879

aged 76

also

their children

Margaret Dunlop

died Broomhill Feb 1846 aged 16

John Dunlop

died Hareshaw 16th July 1846 aged 14 years.


I'm assuming that Marion Thomson was the daughter of John Thomson and Margaret Kay, mentioned on the previous post and on the adjacent gravestone.

No comments: